Thursday, February 6, 2014

Project Update


My project in creating a promo video for People Power is moving somewhat slowly but should pick up in the next couple of weeks. I'll be meeting with Tawn at the People Power office  tomorrow to get his existing video footage and photos to put into the video. I've also been collecting my own bicycle-related footage to use in the video as well. I'm planning on attending the Santa Cruz Bike Party next Friday and collecting footage from that as well which should be a lot of fun. I think the energy of the bike party will contribute a lot to the momentum of the video. It'll also be my first bike party so I look forward to it!
I've also had a recent development in a new project that I'd like to look into because of an accident that I had this week. I was riding my bike down High Street and crossed into the separated bike lane that goes opposite of traffic after Highland. About two blocks away from the next stop sign I was going pretty fast, probably at least 20 mph down the hill. Suddenly a car that had been coming up High pulled right in front of me into a driveway perpendicular to the bike lane and I t-boned right into her hood and actually smashed her windshield with my face. Amazingly, I was completely fine despite some bruising on my leg and face. I've been in contact with Emily, the girl who was driving, and luckily her insurance company will be paying for the repairs on my bike (bent fork, possibly more) and any medical visits I need to make. Apparently a lot of the residents in that section of High street have either had similar accidents or have had very close calls. I've known people to get hit on their bikes there and Emily's neighbor, who saw the aftermath of the accident said that he'd done a very similar thing when backing out before. She and I are interested in working together in making that section of High safer, even if it just means getting some mirrors in peoples' driveways or something. So, I'm pretty excited about figuring out how to get that started. I'll bring it up in class tomorrow and hope to get some input from Tawn as well.
Photos to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your accident & I'm glad your are OK! That's interesting that it made you realize how often this same "accident" occurs on High Street. I hope something can be done to make this route safer.

    ReplyDelete