Thursday, February 6, 2014

Maryam's Project/Update

So far, my project is undeveloped to say the least. After a busy week I am off to a late start, but I know I would like to concentrate my efforts in outreach. I have done a bit of brainstorming about ways to connect with students without flyers or paper waste. Some rough ideas:

- Announcements! On buses, in dining halls, in class, in passing, downtown, etc. This is something I have already experimented with. I have made several announcements in the Porter dining hall and in my classes encouraging people to attend the city council meeting which addressed the bicycle youth distribution program. This arena of advertising is so open! There are countless ways to present material to people in a way that will stand out and get people excited, be it what you say, how you say it, what you wear, what have you. It has been fun carefully selecting the words for announcements - not to mention an easy thrill! I would like to work with Amelia to develop an effective way to make announcements that represents People Power appropriately.

- Sidewalk Chalk! At bus stops and all over campus. Like announcements, this option has a lot of creative leeway. I think of it as a wonderful way to reach students via lyrical and artistic expression. I'll be hitting all of spots that student wait around and look for something to read without using flyers.

- Parades and Megaphones! I think this outreach method would make a significant impact with a minimal amount of effort and coordination. A combination of costumes, friends, and a megaphone parading around campus for fifteen minutes during the busy hours would really catch people's attention. We have also discussed starting a "Slug Bike Party" on campus to get students to connect over their bicycles and spread word about the bike parties downtown.

I am scheduled to meet with Amelia Conlen from People Power tomorrow with Hasti. Hopefully we can get some concrete project set in motion. Ideally, I could incorporate some outreach for the Bike Church as well.


1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of parading around campus with a biker gang to advertise the bike party. We should assemble a crew! I would also be down to cruise around campus and draw chalk bikes with catchy messages (if it's not raining).

    I'm meeting with Amelia tomorrow at 2 to discuss People Power outreach, if you can make it. We can talk about these things in class tomorrow. I'm still developing my project as well and I feel like we have similar objectives.

    ReplyDelete