Friday, February 28, 2014

Hasti's Project Challenges & Progress

Last week, I downloaded a digital version of the Santa Cruz County bike map from SCCRTC's website.

I plan to use this file to highlight recommended routes to share via People Power's Facebook page.


Amelia Conlen and I discussed a route that starts downtown on Pacific Avenue and heads South ending at Seacliff Beach. I took a screen shot of the section of the bike map that I wanted to highlight but the image was too low resolution when I tried to edit it in a simple editor. I'm planning to use a more sophisticated editor tomorrow on campus in the Porter Lab. Using Adobe Illustrator, I think I can just import the entire pdf file then crop the section I would like to highlight.

Sharing images of highlighted routes through social media encourages people staring at a screen to go outside and get active. I would also like to encourage people that take the recommended route to share a picture from the destination or somewhere along the way.

I have a meeting at the People Power headquarters tomorrow to discuss promoting People Power's upcoming bike commuting workshops. We will be receiving a batch of posters to distribute around town. I will put up posters around campus and also talk to local businesses like bike shops about posting them. We plan to discuss some ideas for promoting the workshops online.

So far, I have really enjoyed participating in bike related events ranging from group rides to helmet decorating with reflective stickers. I feel as though events have been one of the most effective methods of advocacy in action. With the group rides we are encouraging individuals to bike in a group and enabling them to do so safely by taking turns to stand at intersections. With the helmet decorating workshop, we cut reflective stickers to make ourselves much more visible at night in a creative way.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Hasti! You say that looking at maps will motivate people to get up and ride. I think there might be more to it than that. Encouraging people to post pictures of the destination could encourage some, having other incentives like a contest to write about their experience taking that route could be another... Having a video of the route could be another way. People react differently because each of us is motivated by different things. I love where you're going with all of this! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the feedback Melissa! I will try to incorporate more incentives to utilize recommended routes and share experiences from the trip. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so welcome! I can't wait to begin seeing these posts on the People Power Facebook page so I can re-share them and get involved. Don't forget about Twitter, too!

    ReplyDelete