Thursday, February 27, 2014

Project Challenges/Advocacy

My project thus far has been smooth going! I’ve been getting some great footage from Tawn and have started putting it together—it’s coming together nicely. Going on the ride that Tawn put together in Aptos produced some great footage as well. We took high school kids up into Nisene Marks and rode some really fun trails. It was most of the kids’ first time mountain biking which was a blast to see and I got some really fun footage all over the trails.


Putting together the video for Green Ways to School hasn’t evoked any problems and has been a lot of fun so far. The only thing I have some concern over is how far the video will reach via the internet. We’ve talked a lot in class about the audience that our advocacy actually reaches which is often those already involved in the bike community.  The video that I’m making for Green Ways to School will go up on their website, which means that the only people who will see it are those actively searching for Green Ways (meaning that they have a prior interest in the organization and thus, in bicycling). I want the video to reach kids and parents who are interested in contributing to an eco-friendly community or who want to engage in sustainable forms of transportation but might not have the resources or might not be comfortable sending their kid off to school on a bike or on foot. I would really love to find the resources to reach this audience. I’ve reached out to the public access station here in Santa Cruz but haven’t heard back (perhaps because they’re under renovation right now?). I know that Tawn has worked with them before so that’s a great connection to have, and I’ll contact them again soon or talk to Tawn about ways of getting the video on air. Of course, posting the video to blogs and internet communities (like this one!) always helps, but again, probably won’t reach the local demographic that I’m interested in reaching. I’d be interested to hear suggestions as to how to reach this audience! Included is a sneak peek photo of the Nisene Marks ride last President’s Day weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Ecology Action can probably promote it through their e-newsletter. Tawn would have Emily Glanville's contact information for that, or I can email it to you. There are a number of on-campus newsletters that reach off-campus folks, staff, and faculty who might have children that this could reach. Let me know if you want their contact information to submit content.

    I also wonder if local bike shops have Facebook pages you could promote it through. Perhaps bicycle trip since they have an advocacy program that does bike rides with youth that I believe Tawn works with...

    If you draft up an email with the video that explains the purpose and the target audience, I can send it out to all the bike folks in Santa Cruz that I've met and they can help to promote it among their networks, too.

    I wonder if there are youth events in town that you could show the film at... The Teen Center hosts events all the time. Maybe if they have a movie night you could show your film as a "preview" beforehand.

    I'll keep thinking of other ideas for you. Love this project, and I can't wait to see the film!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    Thank you for your ideas! I will draft up an email with the video once I've finished that explains its purpose and target audience. I've still got some work to do so it'll take another week or so but I'm happy to extend my work beyond the end of this quarter to make sure that the video gets out there.
    I'll contact Tawn about Bicycle Trip and maybe Epicenter (they sponsored the Nisene Marks ride) and see what other resources he might have. Meanwhile I'd love to get Emily Glanville's email address from you as well!
    Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

    -Camille

    ReplyDelete