Friday, February 14, 2014

Cycling from different perspectives

   I think the economy is one of the links between social justice, feminism and transportation. For many people, the car is their only way to get around. This is due to the infrastructure in America. Bicycles are seen as a way to get around for people who don't have enough money to buy their own car, like homeless people or struggling students, etc. There are bicycles for recreation, but they are only used in certain places for specific purposes. These are the views of many Americans who do not use bicycles everyday.
   Some people who ride for transportation would not if they had the means for their own car. Most of the few that choose to ride are members of the recent movement for bicycle use. Bicycles can give people independence, but traditionally in America, at least for the last few decades, this role has been overwhelmingly filled by the car.
   I know that in my experiences, people my age got cars to fulfill social obligations. As their lives in high school got to be about going places and doing things with their friends more, they were expected to be able to get there and this meant driving a car. But these people very rarely own the cars they drive. Their parents are paying for all or most of the expenses.
   I bought a bike so that I could try and do things under my own power. I wanted to use a bike for all the usual benefits, but I also wanted to be independent as everyone does at that age, and I couldn't see how one could be independent with a car without that defining your existence. I didn't like the idea of working so much just to pay for it. It seemed like the right option for my place in the economy. I have watched several people get cars and regret doing so with hindsight, and it was difficult for me a lot of the time to do some things without being able to drive places, but my bike has helped me learn a lot and taught me to appreciate some things.

   I guess this is my point. People have to decide how they are going to get where they need to go and some of us don't have very many options. Women are no exception. They seem to choose the car typically, as Elly Blue states. The place of women in the economy affects them like everyone else and this means that their place in cycling is another symptom of their place in society.
   This is a problem for people in low-income neighborhoods too, because they might live in a "food desert" and they might not be able to drive all the way across town to go shopping somewhere with healthy food. It is all interconnected with the economy and people's choices and options.
   A lot of trips in America that are currently and unnecessarily done by car could be done with bikes or public transit. People  need to be given these options to be able to make different decisions than the car and this could mean a change in their place in the economy and our society.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting perspective. I've never really thought about why people choose bikes over cars but after reading your post, I can see how bike riding is often a result of an economic situation. That's unfortunate because it probably prevents some people from choosing a bike over a car because they fear how it will look to others. I like the idea of bicycles as a means of independence. Freedom from the world of cars, and all that entails, is very appealing. Thank you for a thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Corin! I like that you tied this into the social habits of high school age people in our country and also to women and those who live in disadvantaged neighborhoods without access to healthy food nearby. I think a huge part of the "food desert" issue is that in these places without access to food within walking distance (except maybe McDonalds), the infrastructure is designed for cars (freeways, fast roadways, large wide roads), and biking across town is dangerous. Re-designing neighborhoods like this to include healthy food nearby should also add in safe, protected bike lanes or paths for bikes and pedestrians... of course then we have to insure that those who currently live there are not booted out by higher paying renters.

    Thanks for the great post, Corin!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete